Do you know how much green surface area is required to provide for your daily oxygen intake that you breathe from air? Each one of us requires 625 square feet surface area of greenery to produce our daily oxygen needs, isn't that good enough reason to save trees (and in turn save ourselves from the danger of pollution and global warming?)
- Trees clean the air: Trees help cleanse the air by intercepting airborne particles, reducing heat, and absorbing pollutants such as carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and nitrogen dioxide.
- Trees are Effective Sound Barriers: Trees are as effective as stone walls in stopping sound. They muffle urban noise almost as effectively as stone walls. Trees, planted at strategic points in a neighborhood or around your house, can mitigate major noises from crowded roads, railway stations and airports.
- Trees Produce Oxygen: A mature leafy tree, in a few months, produces as much oxygen as that required by 10 people for one year.
- Trees Become dustbins for harmful gases: a tree absorbs and locks away carbon dioxide, and other harmful gases which warm the environment. An urban forest is a carbon storage area that can lock up as much carbon.
- Trees Shade and Cool: Shade from trees reduces the need for fan, coolers and air conditioning in summer. Studies have shown that parts of cities without cooling shade from trees can literally be "heated islands," with temperatures as much as 4-6 degrees Celsius higher than surrounding areas. In winter, trees break the force of winter winds.
- Trees Act as Windbreaks: trees break the force of the wind. This protects houses, farmland and vegetation.
- Trees Fight Soil Erosion: Trees fight soil erosion, conserve rainwater, and reduce water runoff and sediment deposit after storms
Trees help in lowering the dust levels and pollution levels in the cities.
- Trees decrease respiratory problems; Children staying in areas and localites with trees have much less breathing problems that children staying in localities which have no trees.
How can you contribute?
- Go out and plant a tree today in your house or neighbourhood.
- Donate funds for Tree Plantation Drive by EnviroSpectra. Envirospectra team would utilize the funds received to plant trees in NCR region during the monsoon season (which is best time to plant trees, since weather is conducive and chances of survival high. Please contact us for details on how you can contribute and send funds.
- Ensure no trees are uprooted or cut in and around your place. Often we watch trees being cut down for various absurd reasons (typically for extending outside boundaries and illegal constructions) You can make a difference, report the issue to local authorities or as member of your community engage everyone to save the environment and save trees.